On the 4th and 5th Tuesdays of the month we put together study groups & workshops to learn new techniques, patterns, or handmade items for our Quilt Show boutique. There is $5 fee to attend these workshops to defray prep costs for the presenter unless otherwise noted.
October 23, 2018 - Marilyn D-R
Bobbles: Marilyn will show you how to make "bobbles" which are very versatile in how they can be used, such as a pin cushion, broach, adornment on whatever you like. They are stuffed and beaded. We meet at 10 am and the cost is $5. Please sign up if you haven't already done so because Marilyn will be bringing some of the supplies.
Marilyn will be bringing her die cutter to make perfect circles and will supply some of the fabric and smaller beads and poker chips. Here's what you need to bring:
2-3 coordinating fabrics...can be larger scraps or FQ
pearl cotton thread
specials beads, sequins, buttons
poly fiber fill
October 30, 2018 - Cindy A.
Cindy will show you how to make this adorable Snowman Quilt. Please sign up so she knows how many. Cost is $5.
Finished size 14.5"x 42"
Cindy will bring Accuquilt cutter to cut snowmen circles, stars and snowman noses and hat from the fabric you bring. In addition, she will provide the rickrack in metallic gold or silver, if you want a different color, please provide it. The banner can be made using felt, wool, cotton or your choice – you are the artist. Accuquilt die also has mitten pattern, if you choose bring scraps.
Supplies to bring:
Regular sewing supplies such as sewing machine, cutting mat, rotary cutter, scissors, pins, matching thread (for stitching around appliqued pieces and stitching down rickrack), hand sewing needles for sewing thread and for embroidery floss.
In required fabric sizes below, “W” is width and “L” is length – i.e. for snowman body 17 wide by 18 Long. This is specified in case your fabric choice is directional.
1. 1 5/8 yds. backround, binding, backing (if you want banner 50")
2. 17W x 18L -snowman body(or enough to cut 4 snowmen – 3 circles each) or 4 squares 5-½ “, 4 squares cut 3-1/2” and 4 cut 2-1/2” (total of 12 squares)
3. 10W x 5L (or scraps) for arms (could be thread painted, painted, etc)
4. 12W x 9L piece of star material (If using Accuquilt, then 3 squares 3 1/2" and 6 squares 2 1/2"
5. 2W x 22L total of scraps for 4 scarves. If you want all snowmen to have same color scarves, then one color.
If you want each snowman to have different colors, then scraps for each.
6. 11W x 2L piece for hat
7. 7W x 5L piece for noses
8. 1 1/2 yds. rick rack (provided)
9. 1 yd. x 18” lightweight fusible web
10. Matching thread for applique
11. 8 small buttons (1/4”) (eyes) (provided)
12. 4 - 5/8” buttons for accents on each snowman
13. 12 gold buttons for accents
14. Black embroidery floss (provided)
15. Stabilizer length of background (provided)
Past workshops: click here to see more archived workshops
Sept 25, 2018 - Carol D.
Our September study group will be an introduction to Japanese Boro stitching. We will put together a small composition using a number of new and old fabrics, and then try using a variety of threads and stitches to embellish the piece. The final use might be a pocket, sewing kit, or one side of a bag.